Sunday, July 22, 2007

Stew Mac Diaries 4

I made it to the hardware store today! I took my time walking around finding the proper materials and managed to pick up a new drill while I was at it (funny how that works!).

One thing I always notice when I am shopping for lumber in Japan is that the wood quality is exceptionally good. Since 99.9% of everything is imported, I guess they don't want to waste time shipping over a bunch of warped 2x4 econo studs. Of course, the prices match the lumber (and then some).

I am a little wary about the glue. The instructions mention "Titebond" or weld-on binding cement. The "Titebond" brand isn't available here in Japan, but the description sounds like a chemical based rubber glue. I was talking with one of the old timers in the hardware store (who seemed to think that I was a bit off my rocker) and he recommended a strong glue that maintains a bit of flexibility after it has completely bonded. I'm a bit wary, but I tested out the glue on my jig and it is pretty strong. By pretty strong, I mean really darn strong!



I went ahead and built the jig using my newly purchased materials and shiny new drill. The jig went together without a problem, however, I was in for a surprise when I cut out the body shape and found that nothing matched the measurements given in the instructions.



After a bit of headscratching, I put my printed instructions aside and pulled out the originals that were included with the kit. Then it dawned on me...my printed instructions were on A4 sized paper, while the originals were on US standard size paper. Adobe Acrobat had resized the plans to fit on the paper which led to the size discrepency.

WARNING!!! ACHTUNG!!!
When printing instructions on A4 size paper, check the printer settings in the printer dialog to make sure that the plans are printed at 100% size. DO NOT select "fit to paper size".

Life was much better when I had the original plans and found that the body pattern fit the jig perfectly. Here is a picture of my completed jig.

Now, there's nothing to it but to do it!

See you next time!

Kanagawa G

2 comments:

Howlin' Hobbit said...

If you haven't already, get in touch with John Colter (you can contact him via the Ukulele Cosmos forums). He's built a number of Stew-Mac kits and can give you the skinny on what glue to use.

I'm not so sure you want one with "give" in it after it dries, but I could be misremembering what I've read from the luthier's posts on assorted boards.

Kanagawa G said...

Thank you for taking the time to offer your valuable advice, Howling Hobbit.

The consensus on the Luthier Forum at uketalk.com is that a stiff, almost brittle glue is best for sound transmission.

I have decided against using the glue recommended to me at the hardware store and will be importing a bottle of "Titebond". I have looked around on some Japanese luthier pages and "Titebond" seems to be rated over other domestically available types. I know that I can't go wrong with that kind of reputation. Unfortunately, the uke build will be on hold until the bottle arrives, but I will continue to post to this blog regarding other ukulele-related stuff.

I can already think of a few household applications for the other glue. It is some pretty powerful stuff!

Thanks again, and best regards,

Kanagawa G