Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Stew Mac Diaries 14

I spent the day recovering at home yesterday by shaping the body of the uke. I planed the excess wood down to a hair's breadth of the body and sanded the rest off with 80 grit sandpaper. I found that sandpaper wrapped around a thick wooden dowel (3/4 to 1 inch) works the best. Unfortunately, my wooden dowel was attached to a laundry rack. I'll have to do some explaining later on...

Here is a full body shot. The label is actually centered below the soundhole, I just took this picture from slightly off vertical to try to avoid glare from the flash.
Keep in mind that these are of the rough, unfinished wood.



This should give you some idea of the bowed back. The ukulele is laying on its face in this picture.








This picture shows the body taper. The tail is slightly thicker than the neck (about 7mm).



Next up, the fretboard!

See you next time,
Kanagawa G

No comments: